At North County Pain Relief, we believe in whole health. Taking care of your body and mind is the key to having good overall health and happiness. During the holiday season, it’s all too easy to put our health on the back burner while we overindulge and let holiday stresses get the better of us.
Here are a few tips on self-care that you can do during the holidays to keep your health and mental wellbeing from going off the rails:
- Reject the idea that you need to celebrate from November to January. Limit yourself to a few celebrations and tell yourself that just because co-workers bring in treats every day for the month of December doesn’t mean you have to eat them all.
- Limit your alcohol consumption. When you do go to a holiday celebration or meet with friends at a bar, limit the festive drinks and make sure that you follow them up with plenty of water. Remember, you want fond holiday memories, not regrets.
- Leave time for exercise. Fighting the crowds while holiday shopping may get your heart pumping but not in a good way. Squeeze in some exercise that gets your heart pumping the right way by walking, spending time at the gym, or doing yoga. It’ll not only help to keep off the holiday pounds, but it’ll also reduce your stress.
- Boost your immune system. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, especially green ones, nuts, and seeds, and drink plenty of water, get lots of rest and exercise, and quit things that lower your immune system like nicotine or alcohol.
One way to boost your immune system that might come as a surprise is to see your chiropractor. Chiropractic adjustments can correct misalignments in your spine that may be interfering with the central nervous system. When the central nervous system isn’t working properly message to and from the brain are impeded and the immune system suffers.
- Make time for yourself. We often spend all our time during the holidays taking care of other people. For your own mental wellbeing, take time to enjoy yourself by reading a good book, watching something on t.v. that you want to watch, taking a quiet drive, or do something that you enjoy without the pressures of the everyday world. Doing things for others can be draining; take time to fill up too.
- Be in the moment. Often we get so caught up in the bustle of the holiday season that we forget to sit back and truly enjoy it. The time that we spend with friends and family is the season’s true gift. Don’t miss it.
At North County Pain Relief, we offer a natural, drug-free approach to healing and put the health and wellbeing of all of our patients above all. Call us today at (314)731-4201 and see how chiropractic care can help boost your immune system, treat headaches, and deal with the aches and pains that come along with the stresses of the season.