When we look for signs of life on other planets, we look for water. Without it, we know there will be no life because water is as essential to life on other planets as it is on our own. Without water, we would have no crops and no livestock. Without water, we would have no plants and trees to give us oxygen. Without water, we would have no us. Water is fundamental to our bodies’ functions in many ways because it:
- Maintains body fluids. Your body uses fluids for digestion, absorption, circulation, saliva, maintaining the body’s temperature, and transporting nutrients.
- Helps gives muscles energy. Muscles that don’t have enough fluids lose performance. When the cells shrink from lack of water, muscle fatigue occurs.
- Makes your skin look better. When skin is dehydrated, it can look dry and wrinkled. Water can correct that.
- Is good for your kidneys. Kidneys need plenty of water to flush waste out of your system.
- Is needed for healthy bowel function. Without enough water, you may become constipated.
- Gets rid of headaches. Headaches are often a symptom of dehydration.
- Helps with pain. Water can help when joints are stiff because it acts as a natural lubricant.
- Improves your mood. Dehydration can affect your mood as well as increase anxiety.
- Is good for weight loss. Water helps you feel full, and when you drink it instead of juice or soda, it can help you lose weight.
- Carries oxygen throughout your body.
- Helps bring nutrients to the brain which is 75% water.
- Removes toxins throughout your body.
Dehydration is more than just being a little thirsty. Without water, your body can’t function and begins to shut down. It can be a serious issue that can lead to fatigue, dry skin, constipation, muscle cramps, kidney stones, bad breath, liver disfunction, overeating, and even death.
Water is an important part of your spine health. The spine is made up of vertebrae and in between each is a disc filled with a jelly-like substance. When there is a lack of water in your body, these discs can remain compressed and don’t bounce back to be as flexible and supple as fully hydrated ones. Water is also essential for your body to heal itself, especially when there are musculoskeletal injuries.
Drink More Water
The good news is that it’s easy to remedy. Drink water! The bad news is that it’s easy to forget to do it until you feel thirsty because you’re dehydrated. There are some things you can do to make it easier to get more water into your diet:
- Have a drink with every meal
- Eat more fruit and vegetables especially ones that have a lot of water in them like watermelon, cucumbers, zucchini, and grapefruit
- Bring a reusable water bottle with you wherever you go
- Infuse water with fruits to make it taste better
- Use an app for your phone that tracks your water consumption
At North County Pain Relief, we believe in whole-body health and we take a holistic approach to treating pain. Upon your initial consultation and exam, we’ll come up with a plan to treat your pain and ailments to improve your whole health. If you’re from the St. Louis area, call North County Pain Relief today at (314)731-4201 to schedule a free initial consultation. We’re here to help improve your health.